Dr David Lewis has been an active member of NZIAHS over many years, serving in several leadership roles and contributing widely and consistently to ensuring the institute serves its members. He has been highly professional in carrying out this work but is very humble about his involvement.
A summary of his contribution to NZIAHS is as follows:
- Elected on to the NZIAHS Council in 2009; elected President in 2012 until 2015; immediate Past President from 2015 to 2017.
- Served as an NZIAHS representatives on the organising committee for the joint NZ/Australian ‘Horticulture for the Future’ conference, held in Lorne, Australia, September 2011.
- Served as an NZIAHS representative during the organising of the International Horticultural Congress in Brisbane in August 2014.
- Served on the organising committee of the Plant Science Central Conference in 2015 and 2017.
- Since 2016 has been an NZIAHS representatives on the Council of the International Society for Horticultural Science (since 2016).
David is team leader – metabolite traits in plants at Plant & Food Research, Palmerston North, and carries out research on the biochemistry of and gene regulation of plant pigments in flower, fruit and vegetables and nectar composition and production in Manuka. He is highly respected in this field of research, his expertise enabling him to follow and understand the wider science and primary industry landscape in New Zealand and the implications of in Government policy changes.
The award of an Honorary Life Member is given in “recognition of NZIAHS members who have provided eminent service to the Institute”.